A brief but relevant DHD this week. As we approach a weekend of celebrating America’s Independence, I thought I would pay tribute to past leaders of our country who acknowledged God’s sovereignty and Scripture.
It may be debated whether or not United States is a Christian nation, but its history recognizes the importance of Christian faith. And I’m thankful for this heritage.
Happy 4th of July!
1. “It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible.”—George Washington
2. “We recognize no sovereign but God, and no King but Jesus!”—John Adams
3. “We have staked the whole future of American civilization not on the power of government, far from it. We have staked the whole of our political institutions upon the capacity of mankind for self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves according to the commandments of God. The future and success of America is not in this Constitution, but in the laws of God upon which this Constitution is founded.”—James Madison
4. “The rights of man come not from the generosity of the state but from the hand of God.”—John F. Kennedy
5. “I am profitably engaged in reading the Bible. Take all of this Book upon reason that you can, and the balance by faith, and you will live and die a better man.”—Abraham Lincoln
6. “A thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education.”—Theodore Roosevelt