On Oct. 14, many churches observe Pastor Appreciation Sunday. Today’s leaders face spiritual attacks and pressures like few previous generations.
If ever there were a time church leaders needed encouragement and prayerful support, that time is now! No doubt, a most crucial way to encourage and support leaders is to pray for them. Yet, it is vital that we go deeper than the occasional “bless them” prayers that characterize far too many.
Churches seldom rise above the spiritual power of their leaders. Conversely, leaders seldom rise above the depth and effectiveness of those who pray for them.
Oklahoma is blessed with some of the finest pastors and church leaders in America. May God find us faithful in praying specifically and powerfully for our leaders.
Without Aaron and Hur effectively supporting Moses’ hands in prayer, a crucial spiritual battle would have been lost (Ex. 17:12). Churches must covenant to pray biblically, consistently and specifically for their pastors and staff. To encourage effective support for our leaders, consider ten Bible-based prayers as a covenant for ongoing intercession.
Biblical prayers for pastors and spiritual leaders
1. Pray for your pastor and leaders to have a continual sense of God’s presence and power. Pray that all areas of their lives will be God-focused and surrendered to Christ (Dan. 11:32; John 15:4-8).
2. Pray that they has deep conviction of sin, reverential fear of God and full surrender to Christ’s Lordship. Pray for their eyes to be open and their hearts sensitive to the enemy’s attempts to get them into compromise and sin (2 Cor. 7:10; Phil. 2:6).
3. Pray for your shepherd and leaders to daily experience the mighty anointing, power and fullness of the Holy Spirit. Pray that they will daily seek spiritual unction from above. Pray that the joy of the Lord will ever be their strength (Acts 1:4-5; Eph. 5:18; Neh. 8:10).
4. Pray for a wall of protection from the world, flesh and devil. Pray they would recognize the wiles of Satan and that every thought be taken captive to Christ (2 Cor. 10:3-5; Eph. 6:10-13).
5. Pray for your pastor and leaders to have powerful prayer lives and deep, daily abiding in Christ (John 15:4-5; James 5:16).
6. Pray for your pastor and leaders to have spiritual passion with fervent love for God and people. Pray that they will observe a personal Sabbath rest and not become burned-out (Matt. 22:37-39; 1 John 4:7-11).
7. Pray for your pastor and leaders to be filled with holy boldness, courage and mountain-moving faith (Josh. 1:6, 9, 18; Matt. 17:20; Heb. 11:6).
8. Pray for your pastor to preach God’s whole counsel and not give in to the fear of men. Pray that they will not fall victim to the modern trends of preaching that are unbalanced and shallow (Acts 5:29; 20:27; 2 Tim. 2:15).
9. Pray for your pastor and leaders to have keen sensitivity to God’s voice. Pray that they will lead by God’s revelation rather than the ideas and plans of men (Prov. 14:12; John 10:27; Eph. 5:16).
10. Pray for them to have godly relationships and powerful protection upon their families. Pray that they lead their households in strong family prayer. Pray that their families will be an example of godliness (Matt. 5:23-24; 6:14-15; Eph. 5:25-6:4; 1 Pet. 3:7).
The selected prayers in this article are drawn from my books, “How to Develop a Powerful Prayer Life” and “Praying God’s Heart In Time Like These.” For information on this and related topics, contact him at info @frizzellministries.org.