DAVIS—Due to concerns from the COVID-19 outbreak, leaders with Oklahoma Baptists announced today, April 20, Falls Creek Youth Camp will not begin its regular camp schedule on June 1.
Hance Dilbeck, executive director-treasurer of Oklahoma Baptists, said a final decision about a new camp schedule in late June and July will be announced on or before May 18.
“We have been closely monitoring the impact of the Coronavirus and following the guidance offered by health and government authorities,” Dilbeck said. “After a lengthy period of time of prayer and reflection, as well as conversation with numerous ministry leaders, we have made the difficult decision to cancel our early summer camp plans and work toward a later, more condensed summer schedule.”
Leaders with Falls Creek Baptist Conference Center have formed plans to host eight sessions in a condensed “split-week” format beginning Sunday, June 28. Groups previously scheduled to attend a week-long session would instead participate in a three-night, four-day formatted session—Sunday afternoon through Wednesday morning, or Wednesday afternoon through Saturday morning.
“In the unfortunate event that prolonged COVID-19-related factors make it impossible to offer our revised camp as presented, that announcement will be made by May 18,” Dilbeck added. “I’m so thankful that Oklahoma Baptists have been so positive and flexible during these times of uncertainly, as well as so eager to take every opportunity to share the Good News of Jesus Christ.”
Oklahoma Baptists’ Board of Directors’ Executive Committee approved the revised plans. While the leadership and camp staff are actively implementing plans to have each of these sessions, the plans are being evaluated each week in light of the developing COVID-19 pandemic.
“The spiritual and physical well-being of our campers is our priority. These adjusted plans are designed for the safety of our campers and to maximize the number of young people who can have an opportunity to hear the Gospel,” Dilbeck said.
Church groups can visit oklahomabaptists.org/fallscreek for the revised camp schedule as well as other important camp information. A list of frequently asked questions about Falls Creek summer 2020 can be found here.
“This split schedule still offers the great preaching, teaching, music and camp activities that students and sponsors have come to know and love,” said Todd Sanders, Falls Creek program director. “We are so thankful to student ministry leaders and groups for their help in making this major shift.”
New Falls Creek 2020 Summer Camp Tentative Schedule
Left side shows previous schedule. Bold text shows new schedule:
- Week 1 (June 1-5) is now Session 1 (June 28-July 1)
- Week 5 (June 29-July 3) is now Session 2 (July 1-July 4)
- Week 2 (June 8-13) is now Session 3 (July 5-8)
- Week 6 (July 6-10) is now Session 4 (July 8-11)
- Week 3 (June 15-19) is now Session 5 (July 12-15)
- Week 7 (July 13-17) is now Session 6 (July 15-18)
- Week 4 (June 22-26) is now Session 7 (July 19-22)
- Week 8 (July 20-24) is now Session 8 (July 22-25)
Shown another way, the NEW SCHEDULE sessions are as follows:
- Session 1—Sunday afternoon, June 28 through Wednesday morning, July 1
- Session 2—Wednesday afternoon, July 1 through Saturday morning, July 4
- Session 3—Sunday afternoon, July 5 through Wednesday morning July 8
- Session 4—Wednesday afternoon, July 8 through Saturday morning, July 11
- Session 5—Sunday afternoon, July 12 through Wednesday morning, July 15
- Session 6—Wednesday afternoon, July 15 through Saturday morning, July 18
- Session 7—Sunday afternoon, July 19 through Wednesday morning, July 22
- Session 8—Wednesday afternoon, July 22 through July 25