The year 2021 would be a great opportunity to begin tithing.

This might seem odd to emphasize in the midst of a pandemic that has brought a great deal of uncertainty and insecurity to our lives. Let me tell you why I think tithing would help bring order and perspective to this very chaotic season of your life.

Tithing is giving 10 percent of your income to the Lord through your local church. It is best to view the tithe as not so much a law to obey as a spiritual discipline to embrace. The practice of tithing, week by week, month by month, year by year, creates a rhythm of reminder that helps form us as the people of God.

Tithing helps me remember.

I am a child of the Father. My heavenly Father cares for me. He provides for all my needs, and I trust Him. Giving 10 percent is an act of faith. We don’t tithe because we have some left over; we give what we could use. The tithe is a spiritual discipline that helps me live in humble, joyful dependence on my Father. Remember, Jesus said, “Do not worry then, saying, ‘What will we eat?’  or ‘What will we drink?’ or ‘What will we wear for clothing?’  For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you” (Matt. 6:31-33). If you don’t truly believe that God Almighty is your Father who provides, you will have a hard time tithing.

I am a member of the Body. Paul describes giving money as fellowship, a sharing. Tithing will tie your heart to the local church. Our day is marked by church attenders, church shoppers and church consumers who try to use what the church offers for their own benefit. The problem is, church doesn’t work that way. If you want your church to pay real dividends in your life, you must invest in it. If you are just “attending” a church, there will never be much of a tie that binds. But to actually give 10 percent of your money to that church—wow!  You are all in!  Ask our Lord to give you such love, passion and devotion for your church that tithing is a great joy.  Remember, your heart follows your treasure.

I am a manager for the Master. Tithing brings discipline to our financial lives. Giving 10 percent forces us to be mindful of how we are spending the other 90 percent. The 10 percent is a regular reminder that it all belongs to the Master. We are stewards of His resources. J. Oswald Sanders said, “The question is never how much of my money should I give to God, but how much of God’s money should I keep for myself.” So, tithing is a starting place for biblical stewardship.

Tithing is not a fundraising scheme; it is a disciple-making tool. Like prayer, corporate worship and Bible reading—the spiritual discipline of tithing brings a rhythm that reminds us to live as children of the Father, members of the body and managers for the Master.

How our Lord would be pleased and glorified, how you and your family would be blessed if you would embrace the spiritual discipline of the tithe in 2021.  “Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift!”  (2 Cor. 9:15).