God is love (1 John 4:8).
If you have put your faith in Jesus’ death and resurrection for salvation from the consequences of your sin, then you are a beneficiary of God’s love, eternally richer for His sacrifice.
What better day than Valentine’s Day to celebrate the gift you’ve been given?
No matter what your specific “heart day” plans happen to be, let’s all make a point of heaping the same kind of grace and mercy God showed us through the cross on everyone around us!
Here are a few simple suggestions:
- Smile easily. Whether or not what a person just said or did deserves a smile in return.
- Give sincere compliments. When you look for the good in people, you can usually find it. If not, tell them you’re glad they are who they are and/or are in this world. Even if you don’t enjoy their company—maybe especially if you don’t enjoy their company—God is using them to grow you, and that’s always a good thing.
- Express appreciation. Let people know their contribution to the world is seen and valued. Say “I’m thankful for you” or “I love you,” whatever is appropriate.
- Give gifts. They don’t need to cost much…or anything. Candy. Cards. Hugs, if appropriate. Time. Space. A clean house. A free meal to the person in the drive-thru behind you. Wash people’s windshields. Pump gas. Carry groceries or return carts to their racks. Clean up for and after people.
- Defer. Give people your spot in line, the table you wanted, the right of way, the last cookie, the TV remote, etc. Happily.
- Forgive. Whatever it is, release hearts from their debts to yours. If they’ve been waiting for it, let them know.
- Overlook slights and include.
- Give people more time to do or say whatever they need to do or say.
- Measure your words carefully and watch your tone. Don’t raise your voice, sigh, frown, huff, stomp, or raise your eyebrows even if your doing so would be understandable.
- Give people the benefit of the doubt.
Now, if you run around doing this kind of thing, you’re going to stand out, friends. You might even be asked why you’re doing what you’re doing.
Be ready with the Gospel!
You may not have a hugs-and-kisses sweetie this year, but if you know Jesus, you have the MOST “significant other” EVER! Rep Him well so more people in need of true love will find that eternal love connection (John 3:16).