On Aug. 28, one of the greatest opportunities for inspiring people to pray will be released in American theaters. The movie “War Room” has unprecedented capacity to motivate believers to serious intercession. In strongest terms, the Baptist General Convention of Oklahoma (BGCO) Office of Prayer urges all Christians and churches to see the movie and utilize the related materials offered through LifeWay.
As God’s people, it is always important to discern strategic points that deserve focused intercession. At the current time, two issues are preeminent. First of course is that all believers would not only attend the War Room movie, but would pray for its maximum impact. A second urgent issue is the new wave of persecution on believers in the Middle East, Africa and various parts of the world. Indeed nothing could be more insensitive than for American Christians to be unconcerned or oblivious about the plight of believers under oppression. (Hebrews 13:1-3) Listed below are suggested prayers for both the War Room movie and global brothers and sisters who are being so horribly persecuted.
/// Prayers for ‘War Room’ movie
1. Pray for maximum attendance of believers and churches.
2. Pray for non-believers to see the movie and be drawn to Christ.
3. Pray for believers and churches to act on their inspiration and utilize various tools for deepening personal and church-wide prayer.
4. Pray for God alone to receive glory and Christ’s Church to rise up in kingdom-focused prayer.
5. Pray for an ongoing movement of prayer and not just a temporary event.
6. Pray for a new passion to reach lost loved ones and neighbors.
7. Pray for revival and spiritual awakening across the land.
/// Prayers for Persecuted Believers
1. Pray for overwhelming grace and God’s manifest presence to surround all persecuted around the earth. Pray for special grace and protection for the children and their parents. (Psalm 91; 2 Cor. 12:9)
2. Pray that believers are delivered from the evil one. Pray that they be guarded and protected from the world and darkness. (Matt. 6:13; John 17:12-15)
3. Pray that their faith would not fail and their gospel witness shines bright. Pray that they come through the trials as shining gold with great eternal reward. (Job 23:10; Matt. 5:16; Luke 22:32)
4. Pray that believers will not succumb to hate and vengeance. Pray that our own hearts would not yield to blind hatred of those who attack and mock Christian beliefs. (Matt. 5:43-48; Rom. 12:17-19; 1 Pet. 3:9)
5. Pray for God’s wisdom and direction in the actions and decisions of missionaries and persecuted saints. (Psalm 23; Psalm 32:8; James 1:5)
6. Pray for supernatural provision for believers’ emotional, spiritual and physical needs. Pray especially for the children. Pray that Christians and national governments will rise up to defend, supply needs and take in our persecuted brothers and sisters. (Phil. 4:19)
7. Pray for millions of eyes to be opened and for Christ’s gospel to shine bright and run swiftly throughout the earth. (John 6:44; 2 Cor. 10:4-5; 2 Thess. 3:1-2)
8. Pray for American believers to fast and intercede for persecuted believers and missionaries worldwide. Pray that we will support our brethren and the spread of Christ’s gospel with our very lives and resources. May God grant us the same resolve to stand boldly for Christ in our own land of growing darkness. Pray that we will be bold in our faith, strong in joy, fervent in mission and yearning for Christ’s coming! (2 Cor. 8:1-8; Matt. 5:11-12; Acts 1:8; Rev. 22:20-21)
For further information on family prayer and praying for persecuted believers, contact the BGCO Office of Prayer at 405/942-3800.